Victoria’s Primary Care Partnership (PCP) strategy brings together local health and human service providers who work together within voluntary alliances to improve the health of the community. Prevention is one of the core roles of a Primary Care Partnership. Wellington PCP’s role in prevention revolves around facilitating Healthy Wellington.
Healthy Wellington is a partnership of community and health agencies, working together to better the health of the Wellington community.
Healthy Wellington formed in 2013 when Wellington PCP led the integration of:
- The Health Promotion Strategic Plan for health promotion funded agencies in Wellington. These include:
- Central Gippsland Health
- Gippsland Women’s Health
- Wellington Primary Care Partnership
- Yarram and District Health Service
- Wellington Shire Council’s Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan
This integration has seen a change in health promotion planning and activity in the catchment as agencies work collectively in implementing one plan, rather than the previous approach of working together across multiple catchment plans.
The benefits of the integration of Healthy Wellington are:
- Shared outcomes and measures
- Shared resources and expertise
- Reduced duplication
- Building organisational and resource capacity
Over 2013 – 2017 the Healthy Wellington partnership was found to be a success, and in 2017 the plan was renewed to become Healthy Wellington Strategy 2017 -2021.
Healthy Wellington 2017 – 2021 priority areas:
Improve mental wellbeing with a focus on:
- Increase resilience
- Improve social connection and inclusion
- Decrease harm from alcohol and other drugs
- Decrease harm from gambling
Improve gender equality with a focus on:
- Improve gender equity
- Decrease violence against women and their children
- Increase sexual and reproductive health
Improve healthy living with a focus on:
- Increase physical activity & healthy eating
- Decrease smoking
Address climate change with a focus on:
- Increase capacity for climate change adaptation
- Improve community resilience and municipal relief and recovery planning in the event of extreme weather and or a natural disaster